Getting Started in Research / Research Best Practices
Getting Started in Research
|Dennis Bernstein, University of Michigan. An excellent description of the challenges of doing research, with advice on doing it right.
|Article shared by Dr. McLain on what makes great research and how to pick a topic
|Martin A. Schwarz, University of Virginia. The importance of stupidity in scientific research.
|Dennis Bernstein, University of Michigan. Eleven questions to ask when reviewing a paper.
|Alan Meier, University of California at Berkeley. How to review a technical paper.
Great cross-platform program (free!) to manage the papers you read and cite. (It also gives
you space in the Cloud to store all of your pdf paper files)
|Mechanical Engineering MS and PhD Handbooks
Help with Writing
- BYU Writing Center
- Hints on Writing Technical Papers and Making Presentations Victor O. K. Li
- Publish or Perish: It's Not Just for Academics Anymore Harlan Howe Jr.
- Whats wrong with these equations N. David Mermin
- Getting started in LaTex
- IPE: Vector Graphics Editor with Latex Capability
- Latex Beamer Presentation Template (So long PowerPoint!)